Drug Trafficking Attorney in Destin
If you were arrested or accused of drug trafficking in Destin, you are facing the most serious drug related offense under Florida law. Not only are you facing a felony conviction, all drug trafficking charges in Destin carry a mandatory minimum prison sentence. With your freedom on the line, a drug trafficking case should not be left in the hands of an overworked, inexperienced public defender. Contact the Flaherty Defense Firm 24/7 at (850) 243-6097 if you have been arrested for drug trafficking in Destin or anywhere in Northwest Florida. We know what it takes to defend drug trafficking charges and we are ready to protect your future.
The police want to talk to me. Should I?
No. In most instances, if police or investigators are trying to speak with you, they already believe that you are guilty and are trying to gather more evidence to use against you. It is ALWAYS our advice to avoid an interaction with law enforcement without an experienced criminal defense lawyer by your side. At any point in a drug trafficking investigation – before, during or after arrest- respectfully tell officers that you DO NOT wish to speak with them.
Drug Trafficking Under Florida Law
Florida Statute 893.135 defines drug trafficking as any person who knowingly sells, purchases, manufactures, delivers, or brings into this state, or who is knowingly in actual or constructive possession of illegal substances. Each illegal substance has different penalties and minimum mandatory prison sentences associated with them if convicted. Some common trafficking charges in Destin include:
Trafficking in Cocaine:
- Between 28 and 200 grams: mandatory 3 year prison sentence.
- 200 to 400 grams: mandatory 7 year prison sentence.
- 400 grams to 150 KG: mandatory 15 year prison sentence.
Trafficking in Methamphetamine:
- Between 14 and 27 grams: mandatory 3 year prison sentence.
- 28 to 199 grams: mandatory 7 year prison sentence.
- 200 to 399 grams: mandatory sentence of 15 years prison.
- Over 400 grams means you are facing life in prison.
Trafficking in Hydrocodone/Oxycodone:
- Over 4 but less than 14 grams: mandatory 3 year prison sentence.
- 14 to 28 grams: mandatory 15 years prison sentence.
- Between 28 grams and 30 KG: mandatory 25 years prison sentence.
Trafficking in Ecstasy (MDMA):
- Between 10 and 199 grams: mandatory 3 year prison sentence.
- 200 to 399 grams: 7 year mandatory prison sentence.
- 400 grams to 30 kilograms: mandatory sentence of 15 years in state prison.
- Over 30 grams: potential life sentence.
As you can see, if you are convicted of any drug trafficking charge in Florida, you are facing at least a mandatory 3 year prison sentence. It is our job to make sure that does not happen.
Defending your Destin Drug Trafficking Charges
Many people hear about the harsh penalties for drug trafficking crimes and lose all hope that there is anything that can be done to help them. That is where we come in. We have been defending clients charged with drug trafficking in Destin for over 16 years. We know the right questions to ask and the appropriate actions to take in these complex cases. Because of the mandatory prison penalties associated with drug trafficking crimes, you need an attorney to scrutinize and explore every detail of your case. Below are some of the areas that we will investigate in order to successfully defend you:
- Where were the drugs found?
- How did law enforcement officers come into contact with the accused?
- Was there a search warrant?
- Was there a Confidential Informant?
- Did the accused consent to a search?
- Did law enforcement coerce the accused into consenting to a search?
- If drugs were found, what was the actual weight?
- Did the accused make a statement to law enforcement?
- Did law enforcement advise the accused of their right not to incriminate themselves?
- Was the accused aware of the illicit nature of the substances?
Destin Drug Trafficking Attorney
After answering these questions we will evaluate your options and plan a defense strategy designed specifically for your case. We will also prepare and file pre-trial motions, set depositions, review all evidence against you, and keep you informed on our progress throughout your entire defense. Not only are we fighting to keep you out of prison, we are also fighting to clear your name of the stigma that goes with being arrested for a drug trafficking offense. Call us today at the Flaherty Defense Firm to schedule your free consultation.