Drug Trafficking Attorney in Destin
Please read this before going any further: Flaherty Defense Firm does not represent snitches. If your plan to get out of this involves working for the police, please call another attorney.
If you were arrested for drug trafficking in Destin, you are facing the most serious drug related offense under Florida law. Not only are you facing a felony conviction, all drug trafficking charges in Destin carry a mandatory minimum prison sentence.
Call Flaherty Defense Firm 24/7 at (850) 243-6097 if you have been arrested for drug trafficking in Destin or anywhere in Northwest Florida. I’ve been a criminal defense attorney since 2001, and I know what it takes to defend drug trafficking charges.
The police want to talk to me. Should I?
No. In most instances, if the police are trying to question you, they already believe that you are guilty and are trying to gather more evidence to use against you. It is ALWAYS my advice to avoid any interaction with law enforcement without an experienced criminal defense lawyer by your side. At any point in a drug trafficking investigation- before, during or after arrest- respectfully tell officers that you DO NOT wish to speak with them.
Drug Trafficking Under Florida Law
Florida Statute 893.135 defines drug trafficking as any person who knowingly sells, purchases, manufactures, delivers, or brings into this state, or who is knowingly in actual or constructive possession of illegal substances. Each illegal substance has different penalties and minimum mandatory prison sentences associated with them if convicted. Some common trafficking charges in Destin include:
Trafficking in Cocaine
- Between 28 and 200 grams: mandatory 3 year prison sentence.
- 200 to 400 grams: mandatory 7 year prison sentence.
- 400 grams to 150 KG: mandatory 15 year prison sentence.
Trafficking in Methamphetamine
- Between 14 and 27 grams: mandatory 3 year prison sentence.
- 28 to 199 grams: mandatory 7 year prison sentence.
- 200 to 399 grams: mandatory sentence of 15 years prison.
- Over 400 grams means you are facing life in prison.
Trafficking in Hydrocodone/Oxycodone
- Over 4 but less than 14 grams: mandatory 3 year prison sentence.
- 14 to 28 grams: mandatory 15 years prison sentence.
- Between 28 grams and 30 KG: mandatory 25 years prison sentence.
Trafficking in Ecstasy (MDMA)
- Between 10 and 199 grams: mandatory 3 year prison sentence.
- 200 to 399 grams: 7 year mandatory prison sentence.
- 400 grams to 30 kilograms: mandatory sentence of 15 years in state prison.
- Over 30 grams: potential life sentence.
As you can see, if you are convicted of any drug trafficking charge in Florida, you are facing at least a mandatory 3 year prison sentence. It is my job to make sure that does not happen.
Defending Destin Drug Trafficking Charges
Many people hear about the harsh penalties for drug trafficking crimes and lose all hope that there is anything that can be done to help them. That is where I come in. I have been defending clients charged with drug trafficking in Destin since 2001. I know the right questions to ask and the appropriate actions to take in these complex cases. Because of the mandatory prison penalties associated with drug trafficking crimes, you need an attorney to scrutinize and explore every detail of your case. Below are some of the areas that I will investigate:
- Where were the drugs found?
- How did law enforcement officers come into contact with you?
- Was there a search warrant?
- Was there a Confidential Informant?
- Did you consent to a search?
- Did law enforcement coerce you into consenting to a search?
- If drugs were found, what was the actual weight?
- Did you make a statement to law enforcement?
- Did law enforcement advise you of your right to remain silent?
- Were you aware of the illicit nature of the substances?
Get Help from a Destin Drug Trafficking Attorney
After answering these questions, I will evaluate your options and plan a defense strategy designed specifically for your case. I will also prepare and file pre-trial motions, set depositions, review all evidence against you, and keep you informed on our progress throughout your entire defense.
Everything I do in your case will be with one goal: keeping you out of prison. Call me today at (850) 243-6097 to schedule your free consultation.