If you were arrested for MIP while on spring break in Destin, it is understandable that your first call will likely be to your parents. Once you’ve done that, if you want to make sure this arrest doesn’t end up on your permanent criminal record, call Flaherty & Merrifield.

 Chances are if you are in Destin for Spring Break, you will encounter the all too familiar scene of undercover law enforcement hauling away Spring Breakers for alcohol offenses.  Possessing alcohol under the age of 21 is a criminal offense in the State of Florida. It is NOT the equivalent of a traffic ticket.

If you were arrested for minor in possession in Destin, contact Flaherty & Merrifield today.  We have been defending Destin spring breakers for over 15 years.  We know how to protect your spring break and your future.  Our defense team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (850) 460-7470 to help you.

I was charged with Minor in Possession in Destin-What do I do now?

First, do not pay the citation.  Do not rely on advice from law enforcement about your future.  Contact Flaherty & Merrifield immediately to protect your rights.  Having experience on your side could mean the difference between a clean slate and a permanent record.

After the cop arrested me, he said I can pay a fine and this goes away. Is that true?

First of all, why in the world would you consider taking legal advice from the person who just arrested you? Obviously, they are not looking out for your best interest. Same goes for the State Attorney’s Office.  Do not call them and ask for advice. Their job is to prosecute you, not help you.

By paying the citation you will receive either a misdemeanor conviction or a withhold of adjudication.  A conviction will follow you forever. A withhold of adjudication, although a decent result, will mean the record cannot be expunged (wiped clean).

Do I have to come back to Florida for court after a MIP in Destin?

If you do not have an attorney prior to your court appearance you MUST be present, unless you have been excused by the Court.  Failure to appear will result in an immediate bench warrant for your arrest and will not be resolved until you return to Florida to face the Court.

As long as you have retained an attorney before your court date, you will not have to return to Florida for court.

What happens if I am convicted of Minor in Possession?

  • You can be sentenced to up to 60 days in county jail;
  • You can be sentenced to up to 6 months’ probation;
  • You will face a mandatory driver’s license suspension of up to 6 months;
  • You will have a criminal conviction on your record that can never be erased; and
  • You will be required to disclose your conviction to future employers, schools and licensing boards.

Protecting your future after a MIP arrest in Destin.

Flaherty & Merrifield is dedicated to defending people just like you. Criminal defense is the only law we have ever practiced. Focusing on one area of law gives our clients peace of mind knowing that they have a defense team devoted to their future.  For over 15 years we have been defending spring breakers and visitors to Okaloosa and Walton counties.

Do not leave your future to uncertainty.  You need an advocate and you need answers.  Flaherty & Merrifield is here to help you with both.  A simple mistake as a young person should not follow you for the rest of your life.

Contact an Okaloosa County Juvenile Defense Attorney

If you or a loved one have been charged with a juvenile offense in Okaloosa County, call Flaherty & Merrifield today at (850) 403-6835 for a free consultation.

Brandy Merrifield
Connect with me
Florida Criminal Defense Attorney