Fort Walton Beach DUI Attorney
Being arrested for DUI is a terribly stressful experience. While your future may seem uncertain, it is critical that you choose an experienced defense lawyer who will begin enforcing your rights and building your defense right away. Fortunately, Fort Walton Beach DUI lawyer Tim Flaherty at Flaherty Defense Firm has a record of success defending locals and visitors charged with driving under the influence. More than any other offense, it is imperative to act immediately after receiving a DUI, as your driving privilege is going to be revoked if you don’t take certain steps right away.
You only have 10 days to request a hearing to save your license!
If you have been arrested for DUI in Okaloosa County, give Flaherty Defense Firm a call at (850) 243-6097. For over 14 years we have been earning the trust of our clients one case at a time. We put our clients first and we will always act in your best interest. We know how important your case is to you and we will never lose sight of that.
The vast majority of DUI charges are misdemeanors. The penalties vary based on whether it was a first or second offense, and whether or not your blood alcohol level was above or below 0.15.
First Offense DUI Penalties
- Up to 6 months in jail if your blood alcohol content was under 0.15
- Up to 9 months in jail if your blood alcohol content was over 0.15
- Up to 12 months probation
- Up to a 12 month license suspension
- Fines ranging between $500.00 and $2,000.00
- Ignition Interlock requirement if your BAC was over 0.15
- Community service
- DUI School
- Victim Impact Panel
- Vehicle Impoundment
While it is always technically possible to receive a jail sentence for a first offense, it is highly unlikely. 99.9% of the time, you will not go to jail for a first offense. If any attorney tells you differently, they are lying to you.
Second Offense DUI Penalties
While a second offense is still a misdemeanor, the penalties will be enhanced:
- Up to 12 months in jail
- Up to a 5 year license suspension
- Mandatory 10 days in jail if the second offense occurred within 5 years of the first
- Multi-Offender DUI School
- Mandatory installation of the Ignition Interlock for at least 6 months
- Increased fines and costs
Felony DUI Penalties
If your current DUI charge is a 3rd offense and it occurred within 10 years of the conviction for your second offense, you face a felony third degree charge.
Penalties for a 3rd offense:
- Mandatory 30 days in jail
- Up to 5 years in prison
- 10 year license suspension
- Ignition Interlock for up to 2 years
- Felony conviction on your record that can never be expunged or sealed
If your current charge is a 4th offense, regardless of when the priors occurred, you face up to 5 years in prison and a lifetime revocation of your driver’s license.
DUI with Serious Injury or Death
The stakes get exponentially higher if you are convicted of driving under the influence and you caused an accident that seriously hurt or killed someone else. If this has happened to you, you may face charges of:
What to expect from a DUI Attorney
While you may have spoken with friends, family, coworkers, or other attorneys, let me put your mind at ease. A DUI arrest does not necessarily mean you will be convicted or go to jail. Scare tactics and flashy sales pitches have becomes the norm with attorneys in our area but you will NOT be subjected to that at Flaherty Defense Firm. You will receive honest, straight-forward advice. You will also receive:
- In depth case analysis including a thorough review of the field sobriety tests and breath testing that were done in your case.
- An exhaustive review of police reports, witness statements, video evidence, and breath machine calibration and maintenance records.
- Cost/benefit analysis based on your needs.
- 24/7 access to your defense team.
- The peace of mind that comes from knowing you are defended by an attorney YOU have chosen, and not one assigned to you by the state.
- 13 years of experience in Fort Walton Beach with extensive knowledge of local judges and prosecutors.
We want you to be as informed as possible regarding the charges you are facing and the various tests and procedures that could play a part in your case. To help with that, we have provided the following informative articles related to DUI charges:
If you have any questions about these topics, or any other aspect of your case, the team at Flaherty Defense Firm would be happy to answer your questions.
Consult a Fort Walton Beach DUI Attorney
At Flaherty Defense Firm, we have been defending local residents, military members, and vacationers charged with driving under the influence for over 14 years. If you are ready for us to put our expertise to work for you, call us today at (850) 243-6097.