Get help lifting a no contact order.

A “no contact order” often follows an arrest for domestic violence. A judge will frequently put such an order in place to protect the alleged victim of the crime—either because the victim has made it clear that they feel they are in danger from the accused or because the judge feels an abundance of caution makes such an order appropriate.

“No contact” means exactly what it says. If you are the subject of such an order, you are not allowed to contact the alleged victim by any means. Not in person. Not by phone call or text. Not by email. Not by letter or a note slipped under their car’s windshield wipers. Not indirectly through a third party. 

Absolutely no contact.

This is important to take seriously. As a rule, judges do not take kindly to violations of the order. 

Consequences of a No Contact Order Violation

If you violate a no contact order, you may face the following penalties:

  • Your bond or your “released on your own recognizance” (ROR) status can be revoked.
  • If your bond or ROR is revoked, an arrest warrant will be issued and will include a “no bond hold,” meaning you cannot be released from jail on bond.
  • A new charge—“violation of pre-trial release conditions”—will be added to the charges you are already facing for domestic violence.

Getting a No Contact Order Lifted

In some cases, it may be possible to have a no contact order lifted. Your defense attorney can file a motion to have the conditions of your release modified so that they no longer include the no contact order. Once the motion is filed, a hearing will be scheduled and the alleged victim in the case will be notified of the hearing. During the hearing, your attorney will request the lifting of the no contact order.

If the judge agrees, it will be legal for you to have contact with the alleged victim again—though we would caution that you manage that contact with care. Rushing into a confrontation of any kind is a very bad idea. If you are arrested again for a new offense, the no contact order will almost certainly be reinstated—and unlikely to be lifted.

Contact an Okaloosa County Domestic Violence Attorney

If you or a loved one have been charged with domestic violence in Okaloosa County, call Flaherty & Merrifield today at (850) 403-6835 for a free consultation.

Brandy Merrifield
Connect with me
Florida Criminal Defense Attorney
Comments are closed.