You made a mistake or had a lapse of judgment that resulted in criminal charges. While you might think that pleading guilty and accepting the consequences is the best course of action, you should never make a decision about your case until you've consulted an experienced criminal defense attorney.
The law considers you innocent until proven guilty. As such, you deserve an advocate on your side to explain your options and help you navigate the maze of Florida's complex criminal justice system.
Reasons Why You Need an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney
Your attorney's job is to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the best possible outcome for your case—regardless of your guilt or innocence. Here are some important reasons why you need experienced legal representation even if you think you are guilty of the charges against you:
- You may be misunderstanding the law. Every criminal charge requires specific elements of proof for a conviction—and these elements can involve a detailed analysis of what occurred. You may think you're in the wrong, but the law may say otherwise.
- There may be a valid defense to the charges. For example, self-defense can be a valid argument against assault and battery charges.
- Your rights may have been violated. For example, if your Miranda rights were violated, evidence the police obtained as the result of your questioning is inadmissible.
- Prosecutors and judges have significant discretion. If there are mitigating factors involved, you may be able to plead to a lesser charge or receive a reduced sentence.
- A guilty plea can have far-reaching consequences. The penalties for a crime can go far beyond the initial jail time and fines when you consider the effects a criminal record can have on your employment and personal reputation.
We're on Your Side
If you're facing criminal charges, it's essential to understand what's at stake. Flaherty & Merrifield Criminal Defense is here to help you make the right decision about how to proceed. Contact us today to request a free and discreet consultation.