Drug Trafficking Defense Lawyer in Fort Walton Beach
Prosecutors in Fort Walton Beach and Okaloosa County treat drug trafficking charges very seriously. Trafficking in any controlled substance or drug is a felony offense that carries a mandatory prison sentence and a permanent felony conviction on your record if you are convicted. That is why it is so important to have an effective Fort Walton Beach drug trafficking defense lawyer on your side as you go through this.
Public defender or an attorney you choose?
Since you are facing such a serious charge, you will need to ask yourself whether you want to leave your fate in the hands of the state-funded public defender, or whether you would feel more confident about your chances if you had an experienced criminal attorney that you have chosen for yourself; someone who works for YOU and not the state. You only get one chance to get this right. Flaherty Defense Firm is here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to give you the peace of mind and advice that you need. Let our team work for you and call us at (850) 243-6097.
Should I talk to the police about my trafficking arrest?
If law enforcement has contacted you to discuss your drug trafficking arrest in Fort Walton Beach, the best advice I can give you is do not speak to them at any time. You are not obligated to speak to law enforcement. After you have been arrested for drug trafficking, you will likely become a target for the Okaloosa County Drug Task Force. They will view you as a way to trap other people engaged in drug activity. They will make you feel comfortable and secure—they will offer you deals and they will make you think that cooperation with their agency will mean a clean record. WRONG. Law enforcement officers will not make your arrest go away. They cannot fix the dilemma you are in. Don’t do their job for them. Protect yourself by picking up the phone and calling us 24/7.
Am I going to Prison for Drug Trafficking in Fort Walton Beach?
If you are convicted of any trafficking offense you are facing a mandatory minimum sentence of at least 3 years in prison. The amount of prison time is determined by the type of drug and amount of drugs that were confiscated. All trafficking cases are punishable by up to 30 years in prison.
Florida Statute 893.135 governs drug trafficking penalties, which include a hefty fine in addition to prison time if convicted. Prison time for a drug conviction is different than straight prison time for any other conviction. A conviction for drug trafficking comes with a minimum mandatory sentence. This means that you must be sentenced to the minimum per statute and that there is no possibility for early release, work release, gain time, or parole. You serve day for day on a minimum mandatory sentence.
Common Drug Trafficking Limits in Fort Walton Beach
Drug trafficking is labeled by the amount of active ingredient. Trafficking is based on a person having more than a specified limit of that drug. Each type of drug holds a different limit to constitute trafficking. Just because someone has been arrested and charged with drug trafficking does not mean they are a drug dealer. Drug trafficking limits can start at just 4g. Listed below are the most common drugs we see in Fort Walton Beach:
- Between 28 and 199 grams: mandatory sentence of 3 years in prison.
- 200 to 399 grams: mandatory sentence of 7 years in prison.
- 400 grams to 150 KG: mandatory sentence of 15 years in prison.
- Over 4 but less than 14 grams: mandatory sentence of 3 years in prison.
- 14 to 28 grams: mandatory sentence of 15 years in prison.
- Between 28 grams and 30 KG: mandatory 25 years in prison.
- Between 14 and 27 grams: mandatory 3 year prison sentence.
- 28 to 199 grams: mandatory 7 year prison sentence.
- 200 to 399 grams: mandatory sentence of 15 years in state prison.
- Over 400 grams means you are facing life in prison.
- Between 10 and 199 grams: mandatory sentence of 3 years.
- 200 to 399 grams: 7 year mandatory prison sentence.
- 400 grams to 30 kilograms: mandatory sentence of 15 years in state prison.
- Over 30 kilograms means you are facing life in prison.
What Can a Fort Walton Beach Criminal Defense Attorney Do for Me?
A trafficking arrest may seem hopeless. By now you may think law enforcement has all the evidence they need to convict you and send you away to a mandatory prison sentence. This is where a talented Fort Walton Beach criminal defense team can make the difference. Our number one goal is keeping you out of prison and ensuring you have a future. When you meet with Flaherty Defense Firm you will know that you have made the right decision for your legal defense. We will:
- Force the State to prove the charges against you
- Investigate law enforcement’s evidence
1. Is there a video or audio to support their evidence?
2. Is there another explanation for the drugs?
3. Are there other persons involved?
- Discover if a confidential informant is involved
- File motions to keep evidence out
- Investigate how the arrest occurred
1. Did law enforcement come in to your home?
2. Did law enforcement search your car?
3. Were K-9 detection units used?
4. Was the search warrant valid?
We will not judge you. We’ll defend you.
If you have been charged with drug trafficking in Fort Walton Beach, call Flaherty Defense Firm at (850) 243-6097. For over 14 years we have been defending people charged with trafficking and we are ready to put our experience to work for you.